Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Christmas Decorations and Paraduras

The first thing I noticed when I arrived in Venezuela, was that the Christmas decorations were still up.  Mind you, I arrived a few weeks ago, a good month after Christmas.  There was a nativity scene next to our fish tank (everybody has a fish tank here) and there was a Christmas arc to walk under as well as a Christmas toilet paper holder in the bathroom.  Everywhere I turned, public and private places, there were nativity scenes, more garland, and Christmas color galore. In the beginning I thought that they were just that slow at getting things done, as most Latin American countries have a more relaxed culture.  Then I went to a Paradura.

Paraduras are typical of the farm country in the Andes Mountains states, specifically Merida, where I live.  It was a tradition brought over from the Catholic Spaniards, and it became a vital part of the Christmas tradition to the Catholic Venezuelans in the Mountains.

I didn't know what to expect, as I had heard that Paraduras were typically associated with fireworks and a baby boy.  My mami invited me to one at her sisters house and I thought it would be a great idea to go and take some pictures and videos.

So off we went, by foot.  My tia lives about two houses down, and these houses are all touching, so it was all of about a minute long journey max.  We walked into a house full of people.  My mami is one of 15 kids and 13 are still alive, while about 8 have their homes and families in Merida.  It was crazy being thrust into this house of strangers with few people for company and no one to sit by my side the whole time and be my wingperson.  So I befriended the 11 year old next to me.  She was interested in Paris and very set in her ways, but nice company none-the-less.

They served us a really delicious drink, made with condensed milk, rum, and something else.  Then we waited for the band to show up.  When the band showed up, the played a sang for about twenty minutes and then we were given candles.  This is where I needed a little help understanding.  A lady next to me said that the little Jesus (from the nativity that everyone has in their homes) was missing from ours, he got lost.  We had to go find him and bring him home safe.  Thus we left the house and went to a nearby neighbor where a huge line of people invaded their living room and we grabbed their baby Jesus to bring him back to our nativity.  After we had grabbed him, we lit our candles, and took the long way home.  As we were reached home people were lighting off fireworks and the band played and walked with us the whole time.  Before we could put the baby Jesus back in the manger, we all kissed him on the forehead.

After he was safe and sound, we blew out our candles and the band settled in and played about receiving food.  I think that was my favorite song!!  The people hosting the Paradura, fed us a slice of bread and a glass of wine.  Then later they fed us a complete meal (pre-served plates) and a glass of coke.

As the night was winding down, the TV came back on and I watched basketball with some of my relatives, all the while explaining to my 11 year old friend that the Mona Lisa wasn't as big as everyone thinks and that you can't just make a new one that is bigger.

Overall, it was a neat cultural experience and sometime when I get onto an actual computer I will try and upload some pictures and videos!!


Besos:*

No comments:

Post a Comment